13 May 2016

Luxie Lunch Bag

I went to the Craft and Stitches show in Brisbane back in March to help my friend with her booth.  We happened to be right across from Voodoo Rabbits booth and she had lots of Emmaline Bags patterns and hardware.  Really sitting at a craft show all day is not usually good for your pocket book but I have to say I was very good and did not spend to much; which my pocket book and my husband were thankful for.  

The Luxie -Lunch Bag and hardware came home with me and I did cut out all the pieces out in April. Just did not take the time to piece it together but I love how it turned out.  It is huge.  Mind you I eat lunch at home but if I ever do need to take a lunch some where I will be all set. 


I used a Joel Dewberry deco print and Essex Linen for the outside with some shot cotton for the piping.  The inside is plastic coated fabric.  


This pattern is very well written and very easy to follow. The pattern suggest a walking foot but my little machine does not have a walking foot so I did manage with a normal foot just went slow.  

Thank you for stopping by and visiting. 

Cheers, 
Abby 

09 May 2016

Experimenting

I picked up this duvet cover at Kmart a few months back on clearance. I love the hexagons and colours to much to pass up.  But the thought of wrestling it on a duvet would make me use it as a summer blanket instead of a quilt.  So I had this thought that what if I removed the stitches from the duvet cover and loaded it on the long arm like I would a pieced quilt using the duvet insert as the batting instead of normal batting. The duvet insert is high loft and I did not want to loose any of the fullness but wanted to make the hexes pop. I think I achieved that.
It was a bit tricky using a duvet insert and keeping it flat but that was mostly the edges as the one I used was one we already had in the cupboard and it has been used and washed a few dozen times. A assume a new one might be a bit easier to get the edges all flat and straight.   I did not find any other troubles with doing a quilt in this fashion beside the little issue my machine gives me but only I would even notice the stitch size changes.  

I did loose a bit of size but that is to be expected. This finished in at 73" x 74" but I had not washed it yet.  I did prewash the duvet cover since the duvet insert had been washed.  The binding is small white dots on black background. 

The texture on the back is wonderful. 

This is a low cost quilt the duvet cover cost A$15 and the insert was A$10.  This was a great way to have a play with some quilting to see how I could add to the print without all the work of having to piece the top. 

I will have to go have a look at the clearance bin next time I am in the shops and see if there are any other lovely covers to turn into quilts. 

Thank you for visiting my blog. 

Cheers, 
Abby 









05 May 2016

From snippets to mini

I have a hard time throwing cuttings away when I am making a project so I usually bag them up and set them aside for small improv projects.  Here is my first finished improv project. The finished size is 19" square. 


I decided not to use regular binding on this and found a tutorial on how to do a facing finish.  I altered it a bit as I thought it had to much over hang so I was able to keep the back very tidy. 


My hanging sleeve could use some work but I think it does the job.


Thank you for stopping by and visiting. 

Cheers, 
Abby