09 May 2016

Experimenting

I picked up this duvet cover at Kmart a few months back on clearance. I love the hexagons and colours to much to pass up.  But the thought of wrestling it on a duvet would make me use it as a summer blanket instead of a quilt.  So I had this thought that what if I removed the stitches from the duvet cover and loaded it on the long arm like I would a pieced quilt using the duvet insert as the batting instead of normal batting. The duvet insert is high loft and I did not want to loose any of the fullness but wanted to make the hexes pop. I think I achieved that.
It was a bit tricky using a duvet insert and keeping it flat but that was mostly the edges as the one I used was one we already had in the cupboard and it has been used and washed a few dozen times. A assume a new one might be a bit easier to get the edges all flat and straight.   I did not find any other troubles with doing a quilt in this fashion beside the little issue my machine gives me but only I would even notice the stitch size changes.  

I did loose a bit of size but that is to be expected. This finished in at 73" x 74" but I had not washed it yet.  I did prewash the duvet cover since the duvet insert had been washed.  The binding is small white dots on black background. 

The texture on the back is wonderful. 

This is a low cost quilt the duvet cover cost A$15 and the insert was A$10.  This was a great way to have a play with some quilting to see how I could add to the print without all the work of having to piece the top. 

I will have to go have a look at the clearance bin next time I am in the shops and see if there are any other lovely covers to turn into quilts. 

Thank you for visiting my blog. 

Cheers, 
Abby 









1 comment:

  1. This is very cool! I have a duvet cover from IKEA that I might have to do this with. Thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete